dec: 296 hex: 128
Wheat is an item obtained by farming or found in dungeon chests. Seeds for growing wheat are obtained by breaking tall grass. Wheat can be crafted into bread, and is a necessary ingredient for cake and cookies.
When fully grown, wheat crops will drop 1 Wheat as well as 0-3 seeds. This makes farming an easy, reliable source of food. The player should keep in mind that jumping on wheat will trample it, causing it to drop before being fully grown. As mobs may also cause this, it is advised to fence off the area as a precaution. Wheat may be used to breed cows, sheep and Mooshrooms via first herding two of them together and then right clicking them with the wheat to begin "Love Mode." Wheat may be planted in The Nether, but it will grow at a slow pace since water can not be placed to hydrate the farmland.
 As a crafting ingredient
|Ingredients||Input » Output||Restores|
|Eggs + Wheat
+ Milk + Sugar
||(piece) or (cake)|
|Wheat + Cocoa Beans||
 Efficiency comparison
Wheat is used to make several different types of food, but the benefit you get from each unit of Wheat varies widely depending on what you use it for. This chart compares the number of hunger points you can expect to regain for each unit of Wheat you use, depending on how you use it.
|Method||Average hunger points refilled per wheat used||Additional notes|
|Breeding Cows or Mooshrooms||2.00||Also get one leather for every two wheat used. You also need fuel if you want to cook steak.|
|Crafting Cookies||4.00||Requires cocoa beans|
|Crafting Cake||2.00||Requires eggs, milk, and sugar|
Based on these statistics, the most effective use of Wheat is to breed cows. They give the greatest return in terms of refilling your hunger meter, and also give you Leather, which you need to make books, and therefore bookshelves, so it helps you make better enchanted items.
|February 6, 2010||Wheat was added. Any entities walking or jumping on wheat would cause it to drop before being fully grown.|
|1.9pre2||Wheat is used in breeding.|
|1.1||11w48a||Mobs no longer cause wheat to drop when walked on, unless a mob or player jumps excessively on the wheat.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||Chickens and pigs no longer use wheat to breed.|
- Crops can be harvested quickly and easily from large farms in a very short period of time either by redirecting water over the crops, using redstone lights to light the room and then turning them off, or by using pistons. Immature crops always drop one seed, but fully grown one can drop up to 3 seeds. It has about a 90% chance of dropping at least one seed, and 15% chance of dropping three seeds.
- Wheat doesn't appear in the statistics page.
- Dungeon chests can contain wheat in stacks of 1-4.
- 2-3 Bone meal can be used to mature a newly planted wheat seed.
- As of 1.5, wheat's growth is no longer considered a block update, ruling out the possibility of automatic wheat farms utilizing BUD switches.
- In a Snow/Taiga Biomes, if you put torches around a wheat farm, the water won't freeze as easily.
- Using Wheat to breed animals and eating their drops restores your hunger meter more than making the same amount of wheat into Bread and eating it.
- Holding wheat in your hand causes animals (cows, sheep and mooshrooms) that are close by follow you, until you stop holding the wheat.