||Planned release date
- Attribute system
- Item attributes using NBT tags:
- Attributes can be additive, subtractive and multiplicative using a set value
- Some items have default modifiers in place of previously hard-coded attributes
- Examples of possible changes players could make: A bow that slows the holder, a helm that buffs health, etc.
- Entity attributes:
- These properties can now be changed as easily as any other NBT attribute
- Entity speed, base health, base attack
- Other properties like weapon damage/bow draw speed/sword swing speed are yet to follow
- Resource pack system
- Currently still compatible with texture packs.
- Internal chat system
- Lots of messages should be translated now that were not previously
- Messages are now better modularized
- Server messages can be sent by their code-defined name, allowing the client to utilize the correct translation according to their language settings
- Color can be specifically designated, preventing leakage into further messages
- Support for Java 5 and PowerPC users will be dropped
- If you have a PowerPC based computer and/or Java 5 installed, a warning will be shown at the main menu.
- Increases performance and stability
- Allows LWJGL to be updated, fixing many launcher bugs
- Supports multiple versions/installs
- Self updatable.
- New password storing system 
- More user friendly.
- A major step towards the Plugin API.
- Texture packs
- Start of a new texture loading system
- "May blow up."
- New "missing texture" texture
Improvements & changes
- Riding mounts
- When riding on an entity, dismounting has changed from right-clicking the entity to using the Sneak key (⇧ Left Shift by default)
- Boat controls have been changed from the A, S, and D keys to mouse control
- Respiration enchantment
- Now also helps seeing underwater
- Changed the idea of mob difficulty
- Regional difficulty: The longer you spend in one area, the harder it gets
- Scales with difficulty - items, enchants or AI improve with difficulty
- Added extra tooltip info in the search tab for the creative inventory, which shows what category a block/item is in
- Tooltips for swords and potions shows how much damage the sword does and what effect a potion will give
Blocks & items
- Horse Armor
- Horse Spawn Egg
- When used, a different horse breed is created each time
- Works like any other spawn egg
- Hay Block
- Can be placed in all orientations
- Crafted with wheat in a 3x3 arrangement
- Can be used to bind mobs to fences or lead them around
- Right click mob first, then right-click fence or right-click the mob again to get the leash back
- Crafted with 4 string and 1 slimeball, yields 2 leads
- Crafted with 2 colors of wool in a horizontal line, yields 3 carpets
- Can be placed on any block (even translucent ones)
- Name Tag
- Found in dungeon chests
- Name it with an anvil then right click a mob to name animals
- Hardened Clay
- Stained Clay
- Block of Coal
- Crafted with 3x3 coal.
- Crafted only with coal, not charcoal.
- Can be used as furnace fuel and smelts 80 items, more than 9 coal.
- Has a similar texture to obsidian
Improvements & changes
- Retextured, with more brown shading to differentiate from coal
- Lapis Lazuli Block
- Retextured subtly, it now has a border around it
- Are now used for both horse and pig 
- Redstone Comparator
- Now give out a signal for Cauldrons and End Portal frames depending on their state
- Cauldrons give from zero signal (empty) to three signal strength (full) depending on water inside
- End Portal frame varies between zero and fifteen signal strength, depending on if an Eye of Ender is present
- Various new mobs
- Must be tamed before use
- Ridable by right-clicking them with a saddle - Hold the jump key to fill up their jump bar, release it to jump accordingly, steer them by using the usual movement keys - maximum movement speed and jump height differ between horses
- Have various amounts of maximum health - Use wheat to heal them
- Drop leather when killed
- Can be bred using wheat - Baby horses can be grown using apples, golden apples and wheat
- Players can make them jump
- There is a Zombie and Skeleton version of the horse included in the code, although they require NBT editing to view in game
- Creation assisted by DrZhark
- Like horses, but can carry chests on their saddles that can be opened if sneaking and then right-clicking the donkey or mule. The chest has 15 inventory slots.
- Just like donkeys, just brown and taller than a normal donkey
- Obtained by breeding a horse and a donkey
- Can wear chests on their saddles, just like donkeys
Improvements & changes
- Now have a small chance to spawn additional zombies when damaged.
- Additional zombies spawned are not easily visible to the player
- Pigs now show their health bar.
Improvements & changes
- No longer contain water lakes
- The Nether
- Added chest generation in Nether Fortresses
- Fixed 21 Bugs:
- MC-73 - Green arrow bug on maps in frames
- MC-590 - Mobs not realizing they killed their attacker and trying to attack empty space
- MC-671 - Minecarts with Furnace consume coal in creative mode
- MC-1320 - Dogs wont stop snarling after punched by someone else
- MC-1497 - Damaged Anvils do not show damage in inventory or item frame
- MC-1980 - Despawning cured zombie
- MC-3090 - Unable to play game unless LWJGL is manually replaced
- MC-3960 - After the last use of a bow you get a glitch bow that when dropped and picked up again duplicates
- MC-4631 - Lava decay fails to schedule block update
- MC-6721 - Ctrl + Alt + Esc crashes minecraft
- MC-7134 - Silverfish breaking blocks when "mobGriefing" is set to false
- MC-8073 - Switching from windowed to fullscreen and back moves the point of view
- MC-a - Cant use scroll wheel in crash reports
- MC-11033 - Item count / numbers randomly flickering in item bar, inventory, workbench
- MC-11439 - Memory leak switching texture packs
- MC-11595 - 1.5 HD Texture pack stitched images greater than 2048 resolution result in massive performance drop.
- MC-12017 - Can get permanently stuck in a minecart in a nether portal
- MC-12369 - Minecraft crashing on 1.5.1 prerelease Server
- MC-14218 - Minecraft can't handle 4096x4096 or larger cloud textures
- MC-14221 - Blocks stop updating one minute after entering the Nether or the End
- MC-14926 - Cannot use resolution clock and compass textures with resolutions higher than 16x16
|Account System Update
- Not a game update (will not modify the game itself and will be applied regardless of the version you're playing).
- The possibility to change your username and the e-mail address that is associated with your account will be added.
- Global Mojang accounts are already available and can be merged with Minecraft, Scrolls and Cobalt accounts.
- Logging into Mojang games is made by using your e-mail address instead of your username.
- Possible implementation of the long-awaited online synchronization of achievements and statistics.
- In-game usernames will be changeable, but all usernames on Minecraft accounts have to be unique (doesn't matter if it's a legacy Minecraft account or a Mojang Account).
- It is unknown how the username change feature will be adapted to server whitelists and blacklists.
(Currently being worked on by Tobias Möllstam)
||Jeb originally made clouds transparent when looking from underneath it in snapshot 13w06a. However, this change was reverted in 13w10b as Jeb noticed that the fix caused an FPS drop. He stated "In the future we can fix this again, but with more specific cloud options in the video settings menu."
||Dinnerbone plans to make buckets fillable from cauldrons.
|Expanding on enchanted books
||Enchanted books will be findable with special enchants normally not obtainable.
|Rendering engine rewrite
||First confirmed to 1.5, but not added yet. The features will require a higher OpenGL feature-set and include some sort of fallback for older hardware. The rewritten engine will allow for much faster overall rendering, resulting in more Frames per Second.
||Jeb mentioned the possibility to add some kind of Indestructible enchantment to compensate for the loss of negative data values on armor.
||Audio loops have not yet been added to the game, but may be implemented to play when the player is in a specific location (In caves, forests, oceans, and beside a waterfall). This has been partially added in 1.4 with the addition of lava and water ambient sounds.
||Mojang announced at Minecon 2012 that there would be a new rail to unload mobs and perhaps players when reached. This was supposed to be released in the Redstone Update but was not subsequently included.
|Minecart with Dispenser
||Mojang tweeted images of this during the development of the Redstone Update but did not subsequently release it in the update.
|Friends list, limited maps, video support
||The Minecraft documentary team of 2 Player Productions filmed a Keynote roadmap, containing these lines.
|Rewriting the skin system
||Dinnerbone displayed interest towards looking into switching the skin system to edit right and left player limbs separately, once they're done rewriting the "rendering stuffs".
|More interesting villagers
||Jeb mentioned during a Q&A at Minecon 2012 that he would like to expand upon the complexity of Villagers eventually.
||Notch revealed during the 8th Seecret Friday Update that he would add dragons, one being the Ender Dragon, the other being red tameable dragons. Jeb informed players on his AMA on Reddit that he would add red dragons, but was unsure exactly how.
||Jon Kagstrom commented on Reddit that he would like to add more animals, such as fish, birds, and tree animals, to make the game seem more alive. Later, Jeb stated in a tweet that new mobs are planned for the 1.6 major update. Horses are already confirmed by Jeb.
- Main article: Plugin API
|Spikes or spike blocks
||Jeb hinted a possibility of implementing spikes that would work like pistons but push out Spikes. He later considered making a Spike Block that could be pushed by Sticky Pistons instead. Dinnerbone showed interest in adding spike blocks after adding tripwire.
|New fishing content
||Dinnerbone has stated on Twitter that he has plans for new fishing content, stating that fishing isn't fun at the moment.
||Dinnerbone mentioned on Twitter that he was experimenting with adding seasons, and varying the length of day and night according to season.