||Planned release date
- Resource pack system
- Replaces the texture pack system.
- A conversion tool which converts texture packs into resource packs was released by Dinnerbone and is available here.
- Can combine multiple resource packs.
- Can contain:
- New "missing texture" texture
- Attribute system
- Item attributes using NBT tags:
- Attributes can be additive, subtractive and multiplicative using a set value
- Some items have default modifiers in place of previously hard-coded attributes
- Examples of possible changes players could make: A bow that slows the holder, a helm that buffs health, etc.
- Entity attributes:
- These properties can now be changed as easily as any other NBT attribute
- Entity speed, base health, base attack
- Other properties like weapon damage/bow draw speed/sword swing speed are yet to follow
- Splash screens
- "What's up Doc?"
Improvements & changes
- Support for Java 5 and PowerPC users will be dropped
- If you have a PowerPC based computer and/or Java 5 installed, a warning will be shown at the main menu.
- Internal chat system
- Lots of messages should be translated now that were not previously
- Messages are now better modularized
- Server messages can be sent by their code-defined name, allowing the client to utilize the correct translation according to their language settings
- Color can be specifically designated, preventing leakage into further messages
- Increases performance and stability
- Allows LWJGL to be updated, fixing many launcher bugs
- Supports multiple versions/installs
- Self updatable.
- New password storing system 
- More user friendly.
- A major step towards the Plugin API.
- Status effects
- Health Boost effect
- Gives player 4 () base health; extra health vanishes when the effect ends
- Can be acquired ingame by the command /effect <playername> 21 <duration in seconds> <amplifier>
- Absorption effect
- Gives player 4 () "absorption" health that cannot be replenished by natural regeneration or other effects, but would return every 30 seconds, regardless of the state of the rest of the health bar; extra health vanishes when the effect ends
- Can be acquired ingame by the command /effect <playername> 22 <duration in seconds> <amplifier> or by eating either tier of Golden Apple
- Spreads certain players from an origin point
- Has a Max Spread and Minimum Distance from player to player
- Can be used with the teams scoreboard functionality to spread team members to the same location
- Toggles natural health regeneration
- Toggles the day-night cycle (the sun stops moving and stays where it is)
Improvements & changes
- Riding mounts
- When riding a mob, its health is on the Heads-up display
- When riding on an entity, dismounting has changed from right-clicking the entity to using the Sneak key (⇧ Left Shift by default)
- Boat controls have been changed from the A, S, and D keys to mouse control
- Respiration enchantment
- Now also helps seeing underwater
- Changed the idea of mob difficulty
- Regional difficulty: The longer you spend in one area, the harder it gets
- Scales with difficulty - items, enchants or AI improve with difficulty
- Added extra tooltip info in the search tab for the creative inventory, which shows what category a block/item is in
- Tooltips for swords, pickaxes, shovels, axes, and potions show how much damage the sword/tool does and what effect a potion will give
Blocks & items
- Horse Armor
- Horse Spawn Egg
- Works like any other spawn egg
- Just like naturally spawned Horses, these Horses will have one of seven base colours and one of five variations of markings
- Sometimes a Donkey will be spawned instead
- Hay Block
- Can be placed in all orientations
- Crafted with wheat in a 3x3 arrangement
- Can be used to bind mobs to fences or lead them around
- Right click mob first, then right-click fence or right-click the mob again to get the leash back
- Crafted with 4 string and 1 slimeball, yields 2 leads
- Crafted with 2 colors of wool in a horizontal line, yields 3 carpets
- Can be placed on any block (even translucent ones)
- Name Tag
- Found in dungeon chests
- Name it with an anvil then right click a mob to name animals
- Hardened Clay
- Stained Clay
- Block of Coal
- Crafted with 3x3 coal.
- Crafted only with coal, not charcoal.
- Can be used as furnace fuel and smelts 80 items, more than 9 coal (72 smelted items).
Improvements & changes
- Retextured, with more brown shading to differentiate from coal
- Lapis Lazuli Block
- Retextured subtly, it now has a border around it
- Are now used for both horse and pig 
- Redstone Comparator
- Now give out a signal for Cauldrons and End Portal frames depending on their state
- Cauldrons give from zero signal (empty) to three signal strength (full) depending on water inside
- End Portal frame varies between zero and fifteen signal strength, depending on if an Eye of Ender is present
- Golden Apple
- Golden apples now require gold ingots instead of gold nuggets to craft
- Golden apples now give Regeneration II for 10 seconds and both tiers give Absorption for 1 min 30 seconds
- Glistering Melon
- Glistering melons now require 8 gold nuggets
- Balanced potions to improve gameplay
- Instant Health nerfed by 33% (heals only 4 health points/2 hearts at level I)
- Regeneration nerfed by 50% (takes 50 ticks/2.5 seconds to restore 1 health point/.5 heart at level I)Verify
- Invisibility potions now work better with teams
- Spawn Eggs
- Various new mobs
- Must be tamed before use
- Ridable by right-clicking them with a saddle - Hold the jump key to fill up their jump bar, release it to jump accordingly, steer them by using the usual movement keys - maximum movement speed and jump height differ between horses
- Have various amounts of maximum health - Regenerates naturally, but wheat can be used to speed it up
- When killed they drop leather, as well as any equipment that they were wearing
- Can be bred using wheat - Baby horses can be grown using apples, golden apples and wheat
- There is a Zombie and Skeleton version of the horse included in the code, although they require NBT editing to view in game
- Creation assisted by DrZhark
- Like horses, but smaller and grey, and can carry chests on their saddles that can be opened if sneaking and then right-clicking the donkey or mule. The chest has 15 inventory slots.
- Similar to donkeys, just brown and taller than a normal donkey
- Obtained by breeding a horse and a donkey
- Can wear chests on their saddles, just like donkeys
- Not breedable with horses, donkeys, or other mules
Improvements & changes
- Now have a small chance to spawn additional zombies when damaged or not being looked at
- Able to lock onto the player from much further away.
- Mobbing zombies can now move when further than 32 blocks from player.
- Pigs now show their health bar when riding on it.
- Now have a chance to spawn with potion effects
Improvements & changes
- No longer contain water lakes
- The Nether
- Added chest generation in Nether Fortresses
- Fixed 42 Bugs:
- MC-73 - Green arrow bug on maps in frames
- MC-483 - Keyboard Unresponsive on OS X
- MC-507 - Teleporting to Large Numbers Creates a Broken Error
- MC-590 - Mobs not realizing they killed their attacker and trying to attack empty space
- MC-671 - Minecarts with Furnace consume coal in creative mode
- MC-820 - Death messages in english regardless of the selected language (Multiplayer)
- MC-1126 - Server Command "/whitelist list" doesn't display the full list of players
- MC-1202 - Mobs spawn and then quickly despawn in peaceful. Looks like the "ender-porting-out-of-water" effect.
- MC-1320 - Dogs wont stop snarling after punched by someone else
- MC-1497 - Damaged Anvils do not show damage in inventory or item frame
- MC-1980 - Zombie villagers are able to despawn during curing process
- MC-2097 - You can't get "The End?" achievement
- MC-2200 - Sleeping while in a Minecart produces a graphical glitch
- MC-2419 - Persistence Required Tag Freezes Mobs
- MC-2559 - Squids taking damage while in water
- MC-2692 - Hard to spawn Squids
- MC-3090 - Unable to play game unless LWJGL is manually replaced
- MC-3695 - Boats/Minecarts and Ender Pearls don't mix
- MC-3960 - After the last use of a bow you get a glitch bow that when dropped and picked up again duplicates
- MC-4631 - Lava decay fails to schedule block update
- MC-4822 - Skeletons attacking like zombies when hit in creative
- MC-6721 - Ctrl + Alt + Esc crashes minecraft
- MC-7134 - Silverfish breaking blocks when "mobGriefing" is set to false
- MC-8073 - Switching from windowed to fullscreen and back moves the point of view
- MC-9317 - /scoreboard syntax missing (/help scoreboard)
- MC-9355 - Argument "team" do not work with "!" for other players
- MC-10601 - Cant use scroll wheel in crash reports
- MC-11033 - Item count / numbers randomly flickering in item bar, inventory, workbench
- MC-11199 - Eye of Ender does not always lead to the nearest Stronghold
- MC-11385 - Scoreboard problem with "seeFriendlyInvisibles"
- MC-11439 - Memory leak switching texture packs
- MC-11595 - 1.5 HD Texture pack stitched images greater than 2048 resolution result in massive performance drop.
- MC-11605 - Certain death message will print "null" as the player/mob name that caused the death
- MC-11765 - Command Blocks breaking easily in survival
- MC-12017 - Can get permanently stuck in a minecart in a nether portal
- MC-13177 - New Client and Server Outputs Increase Loading Time
- MC-14218 - Minecraft can't handle 4096x4096 or larger cloud textures
- MC-14757 - Stacked Entity Spawner creating mass duplicate ghost entities
- MC-14926 - Cannot use resolution clock and compass textures with resolutions higher than 16x16
- MC-15732 - Achievement "We Need to Go Deeper" rewarded for going through an End Portal
- MC-16554 - lang files for en_US is gramaticly incorrect at death.fell.finish.item
- MC-17280 - Freezes When Moving
|Account System Update
- Not a game update (will not modify the game itself and will be applied regardless of the version you're playing).
- The possibility to change your username will be added.
- In-game usernames will be changeable, but all usernames on Minecraft accounts have to be unique (doesn't matter if it's a legacy Minecraft account or a Mojang Account).
- It is unknown how the username change feature will be adapted to server whitelists and blacklists.
- Possible implementation of the long-awaited online synchronization of achievements and statistics.
(Currently being worked on by Tobias Möllstam)
||Jeb originally made clouds transparent when looking from underneath it in snapshot 13w06a. However, this change was reverted in 13w10b as Jeb noticed that the fix caused an FPS drop. He stated "In the future we can fix this again, but with more specific cloud options in the video settings menu."
||Notch said on Reddit that he liked the idea of transforming clouds into blocks and making them collide with buildings, terrain, etc. On Get Satisfaction, a moderator of Mojang spoke with Jeb who said that "The current height regulation is just a temporary fix. Clouds will collide at some point, but not in the upcoming update."
||Dinnerbone plans to make buckets fillable from cauldrons.
|Expanding on Enchanted Books
||Enchanted books will be findable with special enchants normally not obtainable.
|Rendering Engine Rewrite
||First confirmed to 1.5, but not added yet. The features will require a higher OpenGL feature-set and include some sort of fallback for older hardware. The rewritten engine will allow for much faster overall rendering, resulting in more Frames per Second.
||Jeb mentioned the possibility to add some kind of Indestructible enchantment to compensate for the loss of negative data values on armor.
||Audio loops have not yet been added to the game, but may be implemented to play when the player is in a specific location (In caves, forests, oceans, and beside a waterfall). This has been partially added in 1.4 with the addition of lava and water ambient sounds.
||Mojang announced at Minecon 2012 that there would be a new rail to unload mobs and perhaps players when reached. This was supposed to be released in the Redstone Update but was not subsequently included.
|Minecart with Dispenser
||Mojang tweeted images of this during the development of the Redstone Update but did not subsequently release it in the update.
||The Minecraft documentary team of 2 Player Productions filmed a Keynote roadmap, containing these lines. Kristoffer mentioned on Twitter that he is currently working on friends lists for Scrolls, then for other Mojang games. These will be available for players with Mojang accounts.
|Limited Maps, Video Support
||The Minecraft documentary team of 2 Player Productions filmed a Keynote roadmap, containing these lines.
|Rewriting the Skin System
||Dinnerbone displayed interest towards looking into switching the skin system to edit right and left player limbs separately, once they're done rewriting the "rendering stuffs".
|More Interesting Villagers
||Jeb mentioned during a Q&A at Minecon 2012 that he would like to expand upon the complexity of Villagers eventually.
||Notch revealed during the 8th Seecret Friday Update that he would add dragons, one being the Ender Dragon, the other being red tameable dragons. Jeb informed players on his AMA on Reddit that he would add red dragons, but was unsure exactly how.
||Jon Kagstrom commented on Reddit that he would like to add more animals, such as fish, birds, and tree animals, to make the game seem more alive. Later, Jeb stated in a tweet that new mobs are planned for the 1.6 major update. Horses are already confirmed (and added) by Jeb.
- Main article: Plugin API
|Spikes or spike blocks
||Jeb hinted a possibility of implementing spikes that would work like pistons but push out Spikes. He later considered making a Spike Block that could be pushed by Sticky Pistons instead. Dinnerbone showed interest in adding spike blocks after adding tripwire.
|More Sea Life
||During an interview with Jeb, when asked if there will be more “undersea living” like corals or fishes, Jeb stated that "We haven’t planned anything at the moment, but surely there will be *something*"
|New Fishing Content
||Dinnerbone has stated on Twitter that he has plans for new fishing content, stating that fishing isn't fun at the moment.
||Dinnerbone mentioned on Twitter that he was experimenting with adding seasons, and varying the length of day and night according to season.