Sneaking is a feature activated by holding the sneak key (default is ⇧ Shift). Sneaking prevents players from falling one or more blocks, making it highly useful for building horizontally outwards over empty space. The player can still dismount blocks while sneaking by jumping over the block's edge.
Sneaking was originally called crouching; however, the player's hitbox doesn't change from the normal standing height.
- You move slower, at a speed of about 1.31 meters/second. Moving diagonally will allow slightly faster movement.
- Eye level moves down one-eighth of a block, and the character model bends over slightly. This can be viewed using F5. This does not allow you to fit into smaller openings.
- No footstep sounds occur.
- You cannot walk off edges. However, any edges that rise less than one full block above the ground (Slabs, Chests, Beds, etc.) will not be protected from falling off. With the new hitbox of the chest, you can fall off even if there is a cliff because of the small sliver of space between the chest and the next block.
- Other players in multiplayer cannot see your name through a solid Block unless the player is within 5 blocks of the sneaking player.
- In multiplayer, your name will be darker than normal.
- If you are on a ladder or vine, you do not move down. This gives the impression of holding on to that specific ladder rung or vine. Mining speed is still decreased by a factor of 5.
- You may place certain items and blocks on interactable blocks (hopper on a chest, torch on a furnace, redstone on a command block)
Sneaking does not affect:
- Mobs noticing you. Contrary to popular belief sneaking will not affect the way you interact with mobs at all.
- Jumping: you can still jump both up and down block levels. However, beware that your airspeed is reduced while sneaking and jumping, and you will suffer fall damage as normal.
- Farmland being turned back to dirt as well as the crops being destroyed.
 Sneak control
On a Macintosh computer, changing the sneaking hotkey to ⇪ Caps Lock allows the player to toggle between walking and sneaking, thus allowing the player to sneak without having to hold down a key. This can be done on a Windows system by pressing Alt while holding down the sneak hotkey. This will freeze the game temporarily; to resume the game release both keys, then press and release Alt again. To revert to normal walking, press and release the sneak hotkey again. Bringing up the inventory or menu will revert the status to walking, as will pressing the chat hotkey or interacting with a furnace, crafting bench, or dispenser. This method works in both windowed and fullscreen mode. (Note: this applies to other commands too, like walking or jumping.)
Also, if the sneak hotkey is pressed at EXACTLY the same time as the chat hotkey, then the player will be crouching in chat. This is very useful if you want to talk but remain hidden from players, because when chat is activated the mouse is released.
In the Xbox 360 Edition, sneaking is toggled by pressing in the right analog stick (by default).
|1.4||Sneaking gained the additional function of holding the player's place on a ladder.|
|1.6||Added the ability to sneak up and down half-meter slopes.|
|1.3.1||The player can no longer move beyond an edge of a block while sneaking, thus not dropping him off the block when the sneak button is released.|
|1.4.6||You may place items such as Redstone Dust, Levers, etc. on blocks like Crafting Tables, Dispensers etc. while sneaking.|
- It is possible to fall off certain geometries, even while sneaking:
- When sneaking on a SMP server, if another player loads the chunk you are in the server will not tell them you are sneaking until you re-toggle it.
- It is possible to sneak while sleeping in a bed.
- This is technically no longer the case, as now the chat GUI is open, but it may still be possible.
- Viewing yourself in 3rd person view while sneaking, you will appear to "float".
- Sometimes while sneaking a visual glitch may occur making it seem like the player is sprinting at the same time.
- In creative mode, if you hold the sneak button and then double tap the space bar to fly, you jump up and you are stuck at the height you jumped up in and stay like that until you release the space bar. However, this isn't a bug because the sneak key is also the key used in flying to lower altitude, so using both keys at the same time purposefully keeps you still.