Minecart with TNT
|This article is a stub.
Please help us by.
dec: 407 hex: 197
The Minecart with TNT is a vehicle added in the 1.5 Redstone Update. It acts as a moving TNT block. It is crafted with TNT and minecart therefore it can be created in the simple 2x2 crafting grid in the survival mode inventory. It can only be placed on a rail. Once it is pushed it will start to go along the rail like a rideable minecart. It will detonate on these conditions:
- It moves over a powered Activator Rail (after 4 second delay like the TNT block).
- It derails and falls more than three blocks.
- It's destroyed while in motion.
- It's destroyed by fire, lava or an explosion.
- It turns on a curved track with a solid block or entity located beside the track (in the previous movement direction).
Upon detonation, it will act as normal TNT, exploding and damaging nearby scenery, players, and mobs. A useful fact about these TNT minecarts is that upon detonation after activating on Activator Rail, it will not destroy its rails and the blocks the rail is on. Note: Even though the rails and supports will be left unharmed, you will still take damage from the explosion, so make sure to be a reasonable distance from the cart. Another difference to the normal TNT is that there is no delay after ignition.
|Ingredients||Input » Output|
|TNT + Minecart||
|1.5||13w02a||Added Minecart with TNT.|
|13w03a||No longer destroys nearby rails and rail supports during explosion.|
Issues relating to "Minecart with TNT" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- Unlike what can be seen when one Minecart with TNT detonates, stacking multiple carts into each other can destroy the rails that they were on.
- It is possible to create an enormous crater using several Minecart with TNT's and having them all detonate at the same time. This will kill players wearing full-diamond armor and the resulting fall to the ground will deal well beyond what any armored player can resist in damage (hundreds of hearts worth)
- TNT Minecarts will not destroy rails or their supports upon detonation. It will, however, destroy blocks around and below the supports, so if they are made out of sand, the track will fall apart.
- They cannot be set off by Flint and Steel or fire. However, if a launched Fire Charge hits a Minecart with TNT, it will explode instantly, making it good for insta-landmines. Shooting them with a bow with the flame enchantment will set the minecart on fire but nothing will happen. Even when removing all the blocks underneath it the minecart will just float in the air and keep burning. Logging out and logging back in will fix this problem.
- If you place multiple Minecarts with TNT on a single rail, do this multiple times, and make the TNT Minecarts crash into each other, they will create a huge explosion, sometimes enough to crash the game. This is because all the minecarts are condensed into a single spot. This does not occur with normal TNT, regardless of the simultaneity of the detonations. These explosions can send the player thousands of blocks into the air and hundreds of blocks from the explosion and sometimes resulting in the player flying into chunks that haven't been generated yet.
- As with any minecart, placing 3 or more together and allowing them to exit a rail system will cause them to glide orthogonally or diagonally at an orthogonal movement speed similar to the player's walking speed. This means that, especially on flat-lands, TNT carts can be used as long-range weapons. Note that any wall at all or dip of over 1 block depth will cause the self-propelling TNT-carts to explode all at once, creating a large crater and killing players. This can also occur on contact with players, making TNT-carts the only weapon capable of being launched and exploding on contact with players instead of terrain.
- If the minecart derails into fire, it will immediately explode while the minecart will be destroyed and will drop a minecart and strangely, with a TNT block, despite the explosion. (Tested in Creative mode.)
- If you stack multiple minecarts into eachother and then drop lava on it,the first minecart will explode and the others fall a bit down instead of all minecarts exploding at the same moment. After this the lava will contact again and the second one will explode, etc. etc. etc.
In the 13w02a Banner a Minecart with TNT and a Hopper can be seen.
Dinnerbone showing how TNT carts will have controlled explosions.