Jack 'o' Lantern
dec: 91 hex: 5B
Jack 'o' Lanterns (or Jack-O-Lanterns) are solid blocks implemented in the Halloween Update on October 31, 2010. It can be created by combining a pumpkin and a torch. They can be used functionally or decoratively as a light source, and double as a directional indicator.
As with the pumpkin, a Jack 'o' Lantern can be placed anywhere as long as the block directly beneath it is a solid, opaque block (except TNT); thus, they can be placed at the bottom of lakes or oceans, allowing the user to easily explore underwater areas. However, it will remain in place if you remove the block below it after placing it. They emit light in every direction and the face does not need to be visible to emit light, so it can be very useful in creating hidden lights. When placed, a jack-o-lantern will face toward the player placing it.
Jack 'o' Lanterns produce the same amount of light (level 15) as sunlight and glowstone and can stay lit underwater, making them more effective and more reliable than torches. Jack 'o' Lanterns will also melt snow and Ice.
|Ingredients||Input » Output|
|Pumpkin + Torch||
|1.2.0||Added jack 'o' lanterns.|
|1.2.0_02 (November 4, 2010)||All Jack 'o' Lanterns on worlds were converted back into Pumpkins in name only.|
|1.1_02||Jack 'o' Lanterns are labeled Pumpkins when moused over in the inventory screen.|
|1.2||Jack 'o' Lanterns previously had the same icon and name in the inventory as pumpkins, making it impossible to tell which is which just by looking at them. However, it isn't possible to stack Jack 'o' Lanterns with Pumpkins.|
|1.5_01||Jack 'o' Lanterns that already exist in-game now all appear facing the opposite way they were placed before the update. Placing a Jack 'o' Lantern will also have it placed facing away from you, as opposed to facing in your direction, as was the case before the update.|
|1.8||With the introduction of pumpkin farming, Jack 'o' Lanterns are now a renewable resource, provided the player makes their torches from charcoal.|
|1.2.1||12w08a||Iron Golems can now be made by using Jack 'o' Lanterns.|
|1.4.2||12w39a||There is a bug where Jack 'o' Lanterns don't emit light.|
Issues relating to "Jack 'o' Lantern" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- On Halloween (October 31st), all undead (Zombies, Zombie Villagers Zombie Pigmen, Skeletons, Skeletons on Spiders and Wither Skeletons) have a chance of spawning with a Jack 'o' Lantern (or an ordinary pumpkin) equipped as headgear. The worn Jack 'o' Lanterns do not glow or emit light.
- Unlike pumpkins, Jack 'o' Lanterns cannot be worn on the player's head.
- Jack 'o' Lanterns cannot be placed on Air, Fences, Glass, Flowers, Mushrooms, Pressure Plates, Sugar Cane, Torches, Redstone Torches, Redstone, Signs, Glowstone, Ice, Pistons, any Stairs, Iron Bars, Slabs or Sticky Pistons.
- In SMP, Jack 'o' Lanterns appear green on a map.
- Jack 'o' Lanterns are useful to create cheap breadcrumb beacons in the nether, because unlike torches they will stay in place even if the netherrack it has been placed on is destroyed, and unless it is directly hit it can often resist ghast bombs explosions, unlike glowstone blocks. Also, it stands out more than glowstone beacons because it cannot be found naturally. It is also better than fire, because extended fights against ghasts will often leave the landscape torn apart and burning everywhere.
- Despite presumably containing a torch as their light source, Jack 'o' Lanterns emit more light than torches.
- Jack 'o' Lanterns can be used for a slime farm to light the room, as jack 'o' lanterns are opaque blocks, so mobs can spawn on them.
- Curiously, Jack-O-Lanterns will provide light even if their face is not showing.