Items are objects which only exist within the player's inventory and hands - i.e., they cannot be placed in the game world. Some items simply place blocks or entities into the game world when used. They are thus an item when in the inventory and a block when placed. Some examples of objects which exhibit these properties are item frames, which turn into an entity when placed, and beds, which turn into a block when placed. When equipped, items and blocks briefly display their names above the HUD.
Items use item IDs while blocks use block IDs.
- Materials: are used for crafting, farming or brewing and can be obtained by mining, crafting, smelting, trading, killing mobs or found in reward chests.
- Potions are craftable drinkable (or throwable) items that confer specific effects. Producing them requires resources from The Nether.
- Tools are used for a variety of purposes:
- The "pole tools" (axe, pickaxe, shovel, hoe) are mostly used to break blocks faster than mining by hand, and are required in order to retrieve resources from some blocks. The exception is the hoe, which converts dirt into farmland for growing crops.
- Buckets can transport liquids such as milk, lava, and water.
- Fishing rods allow the player to go fishing, as well as to pull mobs closer.
- Flint and steel is used to set flammable blocks on fire (for varying periods of time) and can be used to create a Nether Portal. A fire charge also gives the same effect, but at greater distance if shot from a dispenser..
- Shears are used to collect wool from sheep, string from cobwebs, mushrooms from mooshrooms, tall grass, leaves, and vines.
- Informative items, consisting of map, compass and clock, assist the player in the navigation of the landscape and the telling of time. Also book and quills and signs can be used for writing.
- Weapons (swords, bows, arrows) are used to defend the player from hostile mobs roaming a map, or to kill passive mobs for food and materials.
- Armor protects the player from several kinds of damage (mobs/players, lava, explosions, being in a fire block). A full set of armor is composed of a helmet, a chestplate, a pair of leggings, and a pair of boots.
- Vehicles, (minecarts, saddle, carrot on a stick and boats) allow the player or items to travel over land or water with relative speed and ease. Variations on minecarts have an assortment of purposes.
- Utility are used for many tasks, such as logic components in redstone circuits or brewing or enchanting-related things.
- Decorations are items that only have aesthetic uses.
|December 11th, 2012||Dinnerbone tweeted a picture of diamonds being rendered in 3D as dropped items. He also revealed that other items will also be rendered in this way, but only in fancy mode.|
|December 12th, 2012||TeamMojang (YouTube) posted a video showing off the new 3D items.|
|1.4.6||12w50a||When dropped and playing in fancy mode, items now render in 3D.|