|This page contains content about features that are outdated, or have been removed from the game.
These features only exist in older, outdated versions of Minecraft.
Minecraft Infdev (27th of February, 2010)
Minecraft Infdev (27th of June, 2010)
Infdev succeeded Indev when Notch decided to rewrite the game's code to allow terrain to be infinite and procedurally generated rather than finite. This principle of how maps are generated is similar to how current Minecraft levels are. Ever since Infdev, maps generated terrain theoretically 8 times the size of the Earth. Infdev was also the first appearance of the Far Lands.
- For a full list of changes, see Infdev version history
- Infinite map generation
- More craftable items
- 3D clouds
- Much more complex cave systems
- Dynamic fluid system.
- Signs, ladders, and doors
- Minecarts and their tracks
 Alpha replacing Infdev
Because Infdev's main purpose was to catch an infinite terrain version up to par with Indev's content, that purpose was filled around June 2010. Infdev was replaced by the name of Alpha as a sign of progression towards release. Infdev no longer gets updated, and its link has been removed from the Minecraft website.
- Infdev was given its name as a play on words from Indev (which stood for In Development); the "Inf" stands for Infinite.
- Infdev is silent since the Indev and Infdev resources are removed from Mojang's servers.
 See also