dec: 368 hex: 170 bin: 000101110000
The Ender Pearl is an item that is dropped by Endermen upon death.
Throwing an Ender Pearl by right clicking will cause the user to teleport to its impact location, consuming the Ender Pearl, and dealing 5 () damage to the user. Wearing enchanted armor with Feather Falling or Protection reduces the amount of damage taken. If the player doesn't have enough health, the player dies after teleporting.
Ender Pearls are useful to teleport to hard-to-reach locations, such as up/down/across ravines or cliffs. They are also useful to escape death, such as if the player is trapped by a group of mobs or if the player accidentally falls in a pit of lava.
Ender Pearls are necessary to craft Eyes of Ender, which are used to locate strongholds and activate End Portals. Therefore, Ender Pearls are crucial to reaching The End unless you trade with villagers for Eyes of Ender.
Ender Pearls can also be used to make special house entrances. With enough Ender Pearls, a player can place Lava where the door would be, then throw Ender Pearls through to enter, because thrown Ender Pearls do not burn up in Lava. This can prevent many types of griefing.
As a crafting ingredient
|Ingredients||Input » Output|
|Ender Pearl + Blaze Powder||
|1.8||Added Ender Pearls along with Endermen. Ender Pearls have no use.|
|1.9pre1||Ender Pearls are now less commonly found near bodies of water since Endermen now teleport away when in contact with water. Before this version, Endermen didn't attempt to teleport and were damaged/killed from water much more frequently, causing numerous Ender Pearls to occur around bodies of water.|
|Later, on a suggestion from isJesus, Notch implemented the teleporting feature for Ender Pearls.|
|1.9pre2||Added teleporting feature to Ender Pearl.|
|Using an Ender Pearl to teleport resulted in being kicked from servers for "hacking". This is due to a check triggering that was supposed to prevent modified clients from moving too quickly.|
|1.9pre3||Ender Pearls are now used to craft Eyes of Ender.|
- If riding a boat, minecart or pig with saddle, throwing an Ender Pearl will not teleport you but you are still damaged.
- Throwing an Ender Pearl then going to sleep wakes you up and deals damage, but does not teleport the player.
- It is impossible to use an Ender Pearl in creative mode. If looking at a block within the player's range, the player appears to throw it but does not teleport. If looking at a block outside the player's range, nothing happens. However, in Xbox 360 Edition ender pearls function as expected.
- Ender Pearls can be used to teleport/move through non-solid blocks by pressing against the blocks and using the Ender Pearl at the player's feet until the player goes through.
- Protection and Feather Falling enchantments both reduce falling damage taken from the Ender Pearl. With enough protection and enough pearls, one could travel a long distance very quickly.
- It is possible to spawn a thrown Ender Pearl with the ID 14, but it does not teleport. This will only display the Ender Pearl sprite and disappear instantly.
- If the player throws an Ender Pearl and then dies before impact, the player does not teleport after respawning, nor does the player take fall damage from the pearl.
- If the player throws an Ender Pearl in survival mode and changes to creative mode before the pearl lands, the player is still teleported.
- The player is not teleported if they throw an Ender Pearl and enter The Nether before it lands. The pearl is lost if an ender pearl is thrown into a nether portal and the player travels through the portal the pearl will apear and land and teleport the player as if you had just thrown it .
- Ender Pearls collide with vines, tall grass, Dead Bushes, Ferns, Flowers, all kinds of Saplings, all kinds of Mushrooms, all kinds of Minecarts, Boats, and Nether Portals.
- If multiple Ender Pearls are thrown in succession, the player can only be hurt once from fall damage within about a one second span.
Ender Pearls were formerly found in water, however Enderman now teleport out to prevent damage.