dec: 403 hex: 193
An enchanted book is an item which allows players to add enchantments to weapons, tools, or armor by combining the enchantment book with one of said items on an anvil. Enchanted Books look like a book with a red ribbon around it. The player can create an enchanted book by enchanting a book on an enchantment table, which will yield a single enchantment. Enchanted books are single-use. Enchanted books can also be found in chests located in dungeons, strongholds, desert temples, jungle temples, mineshafts and villages. The third way Enchanted Books can also be obtained is by trading with librarian villagers. In Survival, enchanted books are the only method to obtain certain enchantments, such as Silk Touch on shears, or Unbreaking on a sword. Enchanted books glow like other enchanted objects.
To use an enchanted book, the player must place an item in the first slot in an anvil, and a book in the next. In order to complete the enchantment, the player must have the required amount of experience.
Enchanted books do not exhibit their enchantment (e.g. attacking with enchanted book with Sharpness will not do more damage).
In Creative mode: The player can enchant any block or item with any enchantment. As a result, a pickaxe with Sharpness will do more damage, and a stick with Silk Touch can dig up grass blocks. (Once created, such a tool still works if the game is switched to Survival mode.) The books can be found in their appropriate tabs. (e.g Silk Touch in the Tools tab, Fire Aspect in the Weapons tab etc.) Furthermore, enchanted books themselves can be combined in Creative mode to create a single book with increased or multiple enchantments, much as when combining tools or weapons. If a block is enchanted, it will not have the purple effect seen on it as a resource if it is placed.
In Survival mode: Enchanted books can only be used with a limited set of items, and books of dissimilar enchantments can't be merged with each other. However, enchanted books still allow applying some item enchantments that can't be done at an enchantment table; this includes boosting enchantments such as Sharpness or Thorns to their maximum power, and the following special enchantments:
|Silk Touch||Shears||Can obtain cobweb|
|Flint and Steel|
|Bane of Arthropods|
|24 November, 2012||Dinnerbone stated that he wanted to add a way to enchant items in an anvil using paper at MineCon 2012.|
|6 December, 2012||Dinnerbone released the first image of enchanting a diamond sword using an enchanted book that has Looting II for 6 levels. He also stated that "this is the reason I originally added the anvil".|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Enchanted books added.|
|12w50a||In Survival mode, enchanted books now can be used with limited kind of items. In Creative mode, they can still be used with any item. It was stated that the remaining functionality in Creative mode is intentional.|
|Librarians can now trade enchanted books.|
|Enchanted books will now spawn in dungeons, abandoned mineshafts, strongholds and village chests.|
|1.4.6 Pre-release||Enchanted books are added to the Creative mode inventory.|
|1.5.1||13w11a||The player can now combine enchanted books of the same level to create a higher level variation.|
- In Creative mode, "combining" a regular book with an enchanted book on an anvil, will enchant the book like any other miscellaneous item, not promote it to an Enchanted Book.
- Enchanted books found in dungeons can contain any enchantment available to players, including those normally only obtainable on books via the anvil - rank 5 of Sharpness, Bane of Arthropods, Smite, Power and Efficiency.
- Enchanted books can put enchantments previously impossible to get on a few other items, but enchantments will only work on tools, armor, and weapons, and some enchantments are item-specific. Enchantment restrictions are lifted in Creative mode, and unusually-enchanted items created this way remain useful in Survival mode.
- Enchanted Books do not use the reddish book texture from the Book and Quill and Written Books.
- Enchanted books and potions take up the most amount of space in the creative mode inventory.
Issues relating to "Enchanted Book" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.