dec: 56 hex: 38
Diamond ore is a mineral block generally considered to be one of the most valuable and elusive blocks in the game (although not as rare as emerald ore). When mined with an iron or diamond pickaxe, it drops one diamond (1-4 with a pickaxe enchanted with Fortune III), as well as experience orbs. The diamond ore block itself can be obtained by mining the ore with an iron or diamond pickaxe enchanted with Silk Touch.
 Where to look for diamonds
Diamond is only found in the lower 16 blocks (above bedrock), though statistically, the best levels to find Diamond Ore are levels 8-12. Even though Diamond Ore is also common on lower levels, these lower levels have a greater chance of lava pools, which can pose as a serious threat. The best strategy to find diamonds is the branch mining method. Branch mining is the best way to look for diamonds because it exposes the most surface area, and also requires the least amount of mining. You would want to be capable of seeing as many blocks as you can which is made easy in Minecraft as ores are visible on all 6 faces. This speeds up the process, as you don't have to mine every single block. To branch mine, start about 8-14 blocks above bedrock (eye level). To check your level press "F3" (or look at the coordinates on your map for Xbox), and then look at the "Y" coordinate. Next, make a one block wide, and two block tall tunnel. you should make the tunnel at least 20 blocks long. Now, for every four blocks on either side of the tunnel ( horizontally perpendicular to the tunnel), dig another tunnel L:20 x H:2 x W:1. Repeat this process, and you should find around five diamonds in no time, unless you run into possible cave systems. This method may be less reliable than strip mining, if only one level of branches is used, but is also less intensive on pickaxes. It is recommended to branch mine on multiple adjacent levels for the full potential of Branch Mining. Otherwise, it could be less effective than Strip Mining. You can also use the straight-shaft method, in which you go down to the appropriate level by mining or through a cave, and cut a single H:2 x W:1 tunnel until you find diamonds.
Diamonds can be used to make shovels, pickaxes (diamond pickaxes can be used to mine obsidian), axes, swords, hoes, and armor of the highest quality. It is also a prerequisite ingredient in Jukeboxes, solid diamond blocks, and enchantment tables. If you want to mine and correctly gather the diamond, use either an iron or diamond pickaxe.
|Ingredients||Input » Output|
Note: Diamond ore blocks can only be mined with a pickaxe enchanted with Silk Touch. Otherwise, the ore will simply drop the diamond when broken.
Diamond ore can be found in veins of 4-8 blocks-- sometimes even more, if multiple veins happen to spawn together, and down to 1 if the block that was supposed to be diamond ore is occupied by a dungeon, ravine, stronghold, lake, lava pool, other ores, patches of dirt and gravel, etc. Diamond only appears in the bottom 16 layers of the map.
- Diamond ore occurs in roughly 0.0846% of stone from levels 2-15.
- There is an average of 3.097 diamond ore per chunk.
- It is a good idea to dig around a diamond ore block before mining it, to ensure that the diamond(s) won't fall into a cave, lava, etc. (This is especially necessary if you happened to stumble upon a lava lake nearby.)
- It is recommended to use a pickaxe with the fortune enchantment when mining diamond. This can yield up to 4 diamonds per ore block (with Fortune III).
- There is no evidence that lava pools enhance chances of finding diamond. They merely spawn at about the same altitude. If you see lava, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's diamond nearby, it only means that you're in the bottom 15 layers of the world, the altitude where diamond also spawns. Lava pools may actually replace nearby ore, leaving you with "short" veins.
 Mining strategies
There are extensive discussions about the best ways to find diamonds. Good places to start would be the "Diamonds Tutorial", and the tutorial on branch mining. One basic strategy for diamond mining is to build branch mines on levels 6 and 10, thus covering the 7 layers with the highest concentration.
 Tested Distribution
For this example, a new world was created in Minecraft 1.2. The data from the save file was then extracted for 416,342 chunks, and the number of diamond ore blocks occurring at each layer was then counted. Diamond starts to appear from level 15 downwards, but it is pointless to mine on that level; you should instead focus on the layers with the highest concentration of diamond, between levels 5-12. Because of the lava lakes, there is slightly less diamond ore in the middle of that range (around layer 9, but 11 is much safer).
|0.31||When diamond was first introduced , it was called emerald.|
|1.6||Before, Diamond was about 50% more rare in the north-east quadrant of the point (0,0) compared to the quadrant to the south-west. In this update, clay blocks were more rare than diamond due to a glitch.|
|1.8||Diamonds have become about 25% more rare.|
|1.9pre4||Diamond Ore can be collected with Silk Touch, dropping the block itself. It can also drop extra diamonds with Fortune.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Diamond ore drops experience orbs.|
Issues relating to "Diamond Ore" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- Diamond ore can be smelted into a diamond gem, although the only way to obtain the ore is with the silk touch enchantment. Mining it normally produces a diamond rather than the intact ore. However, it could be smelted even before the then-unobtainable Redstone and Lapis Lazuli Ores could be smelted.
- In some vein formations, ores connect diagonally. Therefore it is recommended to mine around diamond ore. This also permits checking for lava.
- Diamond ore, along with other ores, appear in the background on the achievement page.
- Diamond ore is considered to be one of the rarest natural blocks in the game, second to Emerald Ore. However, during Beta 1.6, clay was actually rarer due to a bug. Likewise, in 1.0.0, End Portal Frames are purposefully rarer, but finding them is more controllable.
- Diamond ore can only be obtained with the silk touch enchantment, creative, or inventory editors.